Thursday, October 2, 2008

Goodie Drawers

I remember a particularly late summer night when I was 21 and out drinking with some female friends. They were talking about their "goodie drawers" and how sometimes the wrong people had seen the contents. I didn't have much to offer, so I just sat there listening and sipping my pint. The girls shared some funny stories about their goodie drawers and the items tucked away inside: vibrators, lube, condoms, sex toys, et cetera.

I chuckled to myself, and one of the girls gave me a sly smile before asking, "Why? What's in your goodie drawer, Jake?"

I grinned, thought about my response, and replied, "Whiskey, cigarettes and love letters."

There was a long pause at the table.

It was true though. Whiskey, cigarettes and love letters were all I kept in my night stand for a long while. But these three items are also my balance beam, still remaining as the three key components to the best/worst possible night in my opinion.

And maybe that's all goodie drawers really are: the fork in the road when you decide to go north or south.

No comments: