Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012: A Survey

Where​ did you begin​ 2012?​​
South of the border with the most amazing crew of righteous folk ever to hold surfboards, books, and guitars; just as I did for 2013, just as I did for 2011, just as I did for 2010, just as I did for 2009, just as I will next year probably.

Have any life changes in 2012?​​​
Started a new job and solidified my career direction of advertising, at least for a while.

Where​ did you go on vacation?​
Bookend Mexico mania. San Francisco recovery. Big Bear cabin laze. Seattle party adventure. Big Sur comfort. A few wild getaways of shorter natures. Still not even close to being enough travel.

What'​​​s the one thing​ you thought you would​ never​ do but did in 2012?
Be 100% happy with a job.

What was your favorite moment?
Running down a neighboring street on Fourth of July with serious fireworks being shot off all around me. It felt like that scene in The Sandlot, except there were no oldies playing and I had been drinking all day and was borderline delirious.

What was your biggest accomplishment?
I finished writing my screenplay, West Coast, and I sent out my novel, Darby's Last Year.

What was your favorite TV program for the year?
The Wire, for sure, though I discovered it years too late. Also, Boardwalk Empire.

What was the best book you read this year?
House Of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski. It will always be a darkness I carry with me. Truly the most "book" I've ever read.

What was your favorite film of the year?
Looper. I can't remember a time that I wished I had written a movie more.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
"Hey, look at me kinda-sorta make an effort!"

What song will always remind you of 2012?
"Blood" by The Middle East.

What did you do on your birthday?
I played croquet with some chaps and realized, alongside said chaps, that croquet is the best.

What was your best month​?​​​
March. That was a month that didn't stop laughing. My calendar was just frantically scribbled exclamation points every weekend.

What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
Not always being on the verge of being broke. But, then again, recklessly spending all that money technically made my year way more satisfying.

What kept you sane this year?
Writing. Always. More specifically, though, it was poetry this year.

What celebrity did you fancy the most?
Olivia Wilde, with a brief "hot diggity" for Alison Brie. I ENJOY HER ABILITY TO SUCCEED AT BOTH MAD MEN AND COMMUNITY. However, Olivia Wilde is the 10 of 10s. LOOK AT HER. JUST LOOK AT ALL THAT SHE IS.

Drinking buddy of the year?
Too many.

Smoking buddy of the year?
Not enough.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother's and mine when we were both unemployed for three weeks at the beginning of the year. We treated funemployment like a sprint that should've been a marathon. It was like we were wearing the seven deadly sins as robes.

Whose behavior disappointed you?
Mine/the government's, per usual.

Any regular activities?
Outstanding weekly activities included Sunday morning basketball, Monday night writing, and Wednesday's recent "Record Nights." Beloved annual activities included Kilroy Family's End of the Summer Party, Swaylocks, Second Thanksgiving, Sarvas Christmas Party, and Mexico New Year's.

Favorite night​ out?
Without consideration of travel or women, I'd still say there's quite a few in the running. But I'd say it was probably the 24-hour San Diego backyard party.

Start​ a new hobby​?​
Evening bike rides. Therapeutic, healthy, fun. Only activity I can describe like that with my clothes on.

Any slumps?
I don't know what it was, but summer dragged with the other seasons being tremendous. 2011 saw the same weird lull. Guess what, 2013? We're not doing that shit again. WE'RE DOING SUMMER LIKE IT'S A BAD BITCH BEGGING. Also, 2013, let's make sure I don't use the phrase "bad bitch begging" again.

Been naughty or nice?​​
Honestly, this was one of the only years I'd say I was overall pretty nice and legitimately deserved Christmas presents.

Any regrets?​​​
Heeeeeeell yes. It's the most dangerous game, ain't it?

Do you have any New Year'​​​s resolutions?​
Do good. Be decent.

Overall,​​​ how would​ you rate this year?​​​
Not as rad as 2011 was, not as spectacular as 2013's gonna be.

What do you want to change in 2013?​
Indefinite stability of the wallet and brain.

What are you wishing for in 2013?
A writing career.

10 comments:

Rex said...

These surveys are still the best. Also, thanks for reminding me of that weekend in San Diego. Best day ever!

Jake Kilroy said...

Yeah, dude. That day was seriously one for the books. That was like an adult version of childhood freedom. WE'RE SO GOOD AT HAVING FUN.

Jason Kornfeld said...

Did NOT know you watched Boardwalk. You are Harrow. Or Mickey Doyle.

Jake Kilroy said...

No way. YOU are Mickey Doyle. Also, I'm totally fine being Harrow. That dude's dope. Keep in mind I'm only halfway through Season Two.

Jason Kornfeld said...

I should have guessed you're behind. Per usual. You're actually neither of those characters. You're Jimmy Darmody's kid. I enjoy your knee-high socks and lesbian mother.

Jake Kilroy said...

You, sir, are Eli Thompson.

Jason Kornfeld said...

You're Steve Buscemi.

Sara B said...

This is good. I might need to follow suit with my own. Happy 2013 Mr. Kilroy, I'm glad I met you this year!

Jake Kilroy said...

Jason, you win. That was a tremendous move.

Jake Kilroy said...

Sara, you've been a tremendous spectacular addition to my year/life/blog. 2013's gonna be wild. Stoked to have you at the beginning this time around. Woo!