Friday, June 26, 2009

Three Raps

I first heard Immortal Technique when I was 20...when I was really high...and maybe drunk too. Anyway, I was writing raps, and when I heard Immortal Technique, I tried to write things that were tougher sounding. Well, tougher sounding for a white middle-class public school student who has a good relationship with his parents in suburbia. So I wrote three raps then. Anyway...BAM:

RAP I:
Now I'm hearing what the public is saying,
declaring that maybe I'm not the best at conveying
these tactical emotions that always flow through us.
An I know I've never said that I was a genius.
But it crawls at my skin when I'm called a bad writer
by acquaintances who believe they're freedom fighters
just because they voice their opinion politics louder
than the comman man who has trouble with the culture that counters.
But I'm saying now that there the ones pretentious
because art has never been as hard as reinvention.
How can they say they march to the beat of a different drummer
if their whole group has love the same since they were younger?

RAP II:
This whole mindset is cliche and chaotic
like the straight kids caught with narcotics.
It's like the teeangers who believe anarchy works
but haven't ever been in trouble, arrested or hurt.

RAP III:

"I'm going to have to kill you when the revolution comes."
You hear that in the distance? It's the sound of a drum.
It's not the settling one, like the kind in pop songs.
This sound is the one that scares when it hits too close to home.
It's the sound of footsteps marching to your front porch,
moving in stride with torches and pitch forks.
If you want some glory, we can declare war on your lawn,
but you're the type to try to fight with an act of Go.d
You're the breed that thinks the Lord love to pick sides.
But when was Jesus on the front line yelling war caries?
When did he last crawl with a cold gun in his hand
and scream, "Listen boys, this is our last stand,
and if I get shot in the heart, at least I'll die a man.
If anyone can kill these savages, I know we can."
My guess at best is that God sits sad and alone
looking down on the field of the fallen from his heavenly throne,
praying to his own god that these human beings stop
using his name when playing games of soldiers and cops.
But religion gets cash when people ask, "Why?"
They see the profit, but it's not prophet in the sky.
Look at the bones and bank stubs that built the Vatican.
It's a city paved in gold that protect's the lion's den.
And the Pope laughs when he says, "Oh, they're at it again."
It's a merchandise war when the rooster leads the hens.
Am I the only one who ever wonders about this question?
They practice humility, but want churches near every gas station?

No comments: