Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fortune Cookie In Finances: A Quick Tale

About an hour ago, I was having a meeting with my father. I asked him to sit down and discuss finances with me, as I can hardly remember a time that I was closer to broke.

As I was explaining to him how helpless I feel and how doomed I may be, finally coming clean about how dire my situation is, I was gathering the three stacks of envelopes I had organized in a futile attempt to take control over my life once again.

I showed him the two letters from Farmer's letting me know that I missed my last car insurance payment.

I showed him the two letters from Aetna that said I hadn't been paying my health insurance provider.

I showed him the two letters from EDD that said I would not be receiving unemployment benefits.

Then, from one of the envelopes, fell a slip of paper from a fortune cookie. It read, "You have a reputation for being straightforward and honest."

And, if I remember correctly, the paper was from a meal when the other person I was with asked what my fortune was and I replied, "Don't bother. It isn't true."

Well, today, I suppose, was a good reminder that I can be wrong.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Jake,

Wow, I couldn't think of a more impacting story at a timelier moment.

I've spent the last year out of work, freelancing, pickup gigs, and making a frugal living off of EDD checks. I just got offered a great job...but it doesnt start for a few more weeks, and I have expenses now that need tending to.

It's a funny feeling to be this broke - I've never been great with money, but with an economy like this, and small margin to work with, you can find the bottom of your bank account very quickly.

All this to say, hang in there. Financial responsibility feels awful and trapping. But we need to remind ourselves that there is a lot to life. Money will find us and leave us and the important thing is to remain responsible and honorable.

-Jenni

Jake Kilroy said...

Very oddily enough, Jenni, I believe you and I now work at the same place as of this week (according to Jackie Jones). This is probably beyond "ironic" and in the realm of "spooky coincidences."