Monday, March 5, 2012

Jim & Tommy

Jim and Tommy sit in an old pick-up truck, each drinking a bottle of whiskey. They are parked on a hill over looking the town below. It is just after dusk and neither of them has ever finished a Shakespeare play.

"Say, Jim, what do you believe in?"

"That question's as big as the stars. I reckon you meant to ask somethin' more specific."

"No, I mean it, what do you believe in? The whole thing. I want the whole thing. I don't want no God this or God that. No atheism neither. I want the full truth of what you got rattlin' inside you like a snake in a cage. Let that sucker bite."

"Dear God, Tommy, you've done drunk yourself into oblivion. There ain't no way out now."

"Oh, hush up, I ain't drunker than you. You've been going through your bottle like you was trying to swim to the bottom for treasure."

"Oh, I was, was I? Listen, you horses's ass, I may be drunk, but I ain't answerin' some question that'll take the Lord's week to explain."

"Then don't! Just start namin' things you believe in!"

"What kind of goddamn question is that?"

"It's just a question! Christ Almighty, you act like you got skeletons diggin' up graves in your backyard. Here, I'll go first. I believe in waterfalls."

"What the fuck kind of shit answer is that, Tommy? Of course you believe in waterfalls. They exist. That ain't somethin' to believe in. That's like me sayin' grass or cows or some shit. They exist, so what?"

"Nope, it's gotta be somethin' that really puts a sunrise in your heart."

"Now that's another thing I don't get! What the hell are you goin' on about?"

"Here's another one. I believe in fast cars."

"So?"

"So, I also believe in dancin' until midnight."

"Tommy, I ain't seen you dance shit my whole life."

"Well, you ain't a lady. Things change, brother."

"Fuckin' hell. Ok, what else?"

"Easter breakfast."

"Alright, alright, give me another."

"First cigarette of the day."

"Hmmm. That's pretty good. Tastes like Hell or Heaven."

"One or the other. Good way to tell how your day's gonna go."

"Sure, sure. Ok, I got one. How about...staying out late?"

"Oh, come on, you son of a bitch, that's about the same thing as dancin' 'til midnight."

"That ain't the same thing. I just like stayin' out late. You like to waltz."

"I didn't say that."

"Tommy, I've seen you dance. You could only do the waltz."

"Ha. Maybe, but at least it's with a lady. You just wanna get drunk with your friends."

"Ain't that what we're doing?"

"Yeah, I reckon that's one of my too."

"Alright then. Chalk that one up to a good time. Goddamn irony, if you will. Alright, I'll take...game shows."

"Game shows? I say fast cars and waterfalls and you want game shows?"

"Tommy, you ever watched a game show? They're the best. All they do is be the best. Alright, another one for me is...drive-ins."

"Oh, that's a good one."

"Thanks. Also skippin' church and fishin'."

"Why don't you just say sins?"

"Tommy, sins ain't for me. And neither is church."

"You'll catch hell for that, Jim."

"Suppose I do. So what?"

"I'll put that on your tombstone when the good creator done smokes you."

"Alright, well, one of the things I'd like to believe in is that the good creator won't do that."

"Can't make you no promises, Jim."

"Well, shoot, alright, I'll say goin' to church instead."

"It's too late for that, Jim."

"Ah shucks...hey, how we getting' home anyhow?"

"Figured we'd drive, but...seein' how fast you're swimmin' through the gold pond in the glass there, maybe we should walk."

"That sounds good. Let's head home. It'll be an hour before we get down from here."

"That's ok. More time to talk beliefs."

"I believe in walks home."

"We all do, Jim."

"Well, then, I guess I believe in people."

"Not enough of us do, Jim."

"Moon's pretty tonight. Can I believe in the moon?"

"Only thing we got left, Jim."

"Sure is big."

"Sure is a lot of things, Jim."

"I reckon so, Tommy."

1 comment:

Jake Kilroy said...

Ok, after reading this through again, I think it's abundantly clear that I'm: 1) reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" 2) putting off after-hours work.