Thursday, March 29, 2012

Travel Photos vs. Everything Else On Pinterest

Some months ago, I realized that I needed to be more proactive about the internet. I know that sounds like something Bill Murray would say in a Wes Anderson movie, but, given my past, present and probable future of working in online advertising, it's true. When a young person discuss the main sites of the internet (Facebook, Twitter, etc), you can notice an older person's eyes draw a blank and then shrug it off. When you see a young person mention hip, slightly-lesser-well-known sites (Visua.ly, Mashable, etc), you can see the uneasiness in another young person. They're losing touch with their own generation and it freaks them out.

So, I signed up for Pinterest, and that paragraph above was the best segue I could come up with while I'm all laid up sick in bed. My night table is the laziest impression of Hunter S. Thompson's briefcase right now. I should be seeing things with all these pills and syrups. Instead, I've just been reading Hunger Games and Sin City while layered up under some blankets and a sleeping bag to sweat out this distress call somebody named the flu for whatever fucking reason, so my nights have largely consisted of having really exciting half-dreams until 2 a.m. Last night, I thought I was a detective. The fevers at night are getting weirder. But, in the morning, I wake up feeling like I've just come home from an adventure. Then I get in the car to work and slump over myself like I've been shot and I'm driving myself to the hospital.

Fuck, I can't believe this is my segue into Pinterest.

And it's not even really about Pinterest.

Pinterest was the segue.

Ugh. This is why I haven't written anything longer in a spell. I can put together a poem like a solider can put together a gun. But I'd be straight drowning in stream of consciousness. I blame it on this last month. My brain has been fried and eaten, and I couldn't even tell you when that happened.

Anyway, I don't know why people are passing around photos of shoes and scarves on Pinterest when they could be repining the hell out of travel photos. Yes, we'd all love to find out what you're planning on doing with mason jars and sticks and how you're turning some old ribbon from your prom dress into a wedding accessory, but, come the fuck on, these travel photos that are being pinned are downright outstanding.

Here's ten travel photos on Pinterest that are just rad:

1. Singapore
2. Bern, Switzerland
Bern
3. Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina
4. Venice, Italy
5. Fjallbacka, Sweden
6. Kleven, Ukraine
7. Mykonos, Greece
8. Yokohama, Japan
9. Toronto, Canada
10. Huangshan, China
The Yellow Mountains, Huangshan, China     "Thousands of feet high towers the Yellow Mountains  With its thirty-two magnificent peaks,  Blooming like golden lotus flowers  Amidst red crags and rock columns."   -Li Bai
SEE! SEE HOW INCREDIBLE THE WORLD IS? SEE HOW MUCH THERE IS TO SEE? AND I'M AT HOME IN FUCKING BED AND EVERYONE ON PINTEREST IS PINNING THIS SHIT:
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, PEOPLE?

I MEAN, OBVIOUSLY, YOU CAN PIN AS MANY THINGS AS YOU WANT AND NOBODY'S CHOOSING WEDDING DRESS PICTURES OVER TRAVEL PHOTOS, AND IT'S ENTIRELY ALL UP TO THE PERSON AND THEIR INTERESTS, BUT, IT'S JUST, LIKSE...THIS PLACE EXISTS:
Sydney, Australia
I have to get out of this bed. It's making me crazy.

No comments: